Sunday 13 November 2016

Emelia's Opens for Business!

I'm a teacher. One of the advantages of this is the long holidays with lots of time to indulge in hobbies. One of the disadvantages is that, come term time, my entire focus is taken up by not drowning under mountains of paperwork, keeping my house clean -that's actually a misnomer as anyone with children knows, trying to keep your house clean when there are children in it is like trying to shovel snow when it's still snowing- and feeding everybody. My point is, I don't have time to sit and make small things in term time. The building of Emelia's took place in the summer holidays..the furnishing of Emelia's took place in the Autumn term 2015. Therefore, not a lot was made by me. In a future post, there will be a house where everything was made by me, from scratch...but this isn't that! I still had loads of fun sourcing all the bits and bobs for Emelia's and was very pleased with the results.

Being hard up for time, I got in touch with my old friend Morticia at La Petite Maison D'AmourI asked her to make me a shop counter, display case and side table. I also asked if she could find me some buckets and a till in Quarter (1/48th) Scale. She did not disappoint..and even found me a cute little watering can.

My purchases from Morticia



I filled the buckets with reindeer moss and painted a few bits to look like flowers. I then set about making some larger flowers with the help of a tutorial I found on Pinterest. I was really pleased with the results...but needed LOTs more flowers. Luckily, I found some tiny potted plants on eBay -O Guage Model Railway accessories- so Emelia's filled up nicely.


Some of the flowers I made for Emelia's 


I filled the display cabinet with bead 'vases' and tiny rolls of coloured tissue and fabric. One thing I have learned about Quarter Scale is you just have to give the impression of something for it to work. I turned to my friend Morticia again to make me some ribbon and cellophane dispensers. I needed an 'Emelia' to run my little shop so I sent Sally Reader a picture of my shop and she designed and made a beautiful little doll for me. Such talented ladies!









Upstairs I decided to do an office. I bought the furniture kits from Petite Properties. The sink I decorated with tiles I printed from a picture I found on the internet. I imported the picture into Word then it was easy to resize using picture formatting as you can specify exact measurements. If you're not confident with Word please leave a comment below and Ill post a tutorial. I made the taps from jewellery pins. More bead vases filled the shelves and I made a few more accessories from beads. The rug is made from two pieces of material. I glued them together with the bottom white fabric overlapping and then I frayed the white edge sticking out to make the fringe. The result was really effective.









After printing out a few posters and bills for the desk and signs for the front of the house my little shop, and second project was finished, with a little help from my friends 😀.







I'd love to hear what you think so please leave a comment below.

Next time: A Tudor project - Toadstool Cottage

6 comments:

  1. I really love your blog, I can tell you really enjoy this hobby. I love quarter scale but I think it's difficult to work with but I need to get busy because I have quite a lot of things to do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Ellen. I have to admit I am hooked on quarter Scale. What scale do you work in?

      Delete
  2. I was a school teacher too so I really relate to what you say about only being able to mini in the holidays. For me it was mainly the long summer holidays only. I admire you being able to achieve anything for yourself with six children to care for! Emeilia's is beautiful, and you have brought a creativity and resourcefulness to the hobby that will result in many more lovely projects. I am so happy that Bea recommended your blog and am very much enjoying reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your lovely comments Sandra, I'm only sorry for the late replies. I didn't have my notifications turned on. What did you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these little pieces of furniture are amazing. The attention to detail on the buildings and the amount of work put into the exterior of the exterior is mind blowing. Do you ever sell any of it? Absolutely heart warming, what a talented lady you are Esther!!!

    ReplyDelete