Sunday 23 October 2016

Mulberry House

I've always had a fascination with all things small. When I was a child I desperately wanted a dolls house, and my Dad and I built one out of scrap wood we found at the tip (by we, I of course mean 'he', even though I was present I deserve little of the credit). When I had grown up and had disposable income I bought my first Dolls House Kit. It was a Dolls House Emporium 1/12th Scale Shop, but, after many years of happy miniature shopping, I had to admit to myself that there was little more to do to it and name it finished. 

Here in laid the rub....my long-suffering husband was reasonably tolerant of the massive dolls house in our bedroom, but we genuinely had no room for a second...was I to sell my creation? Or hide it away in the loft to make way for a new project? Luckily, while I was pondering this problem I discovered 1/48th or Quarter Scale. It was a scary prospect though. Obviously I had a little experience, having built, decorated and lit a 1\12th Scale house, but the smaller scale looked a lot more daunting and seemed to require a good deal more skill than I credited myself with. It was about then that I discovered Petite Properties run by the lovely Bea Broadwood. PP had a 'Kit and Book' series which seemed to me to be the perfect entre to the Quarter Scale world. So I took the plunge and bought a Mulberry House.

Here is my little Mulberry House next to it's big cousin! See the advantages of Quarter Scale!

My little package arrived with the basic MDF shell and a full-colour step-by-step instruction book. I did have to collect some basic craft tools and paints together but nothing you can't pick up at your local craft store. Bea's instructions are so easy to follow and the techniques very simple but so effective!  I have to admit I was hooked from the start. The shell went together like a dream. I was feeling like an expert miniaturist and was having daydreams of starting my own miniature business...and then the staircase brought me down to Earth with a bump!


My wonky staircase
It was tricky! Quarter scale is 1inch=4 feet...so a staircase is just 2 inches tall. It's really fiddly! My first attempt was rather humbling... it looked like it had been chewed by the dog. I tried again though. This time I was more precise with my score lines and took more time with the folding and this was the result. Now I know it's wonky, and more talented artisans will mock me, but I was so proud of my little staircase! It was the first bit of the build that made me feel like a genuine miniaturist in the making and still, to this day (because I've got a lot better) I love my little bent staircase. Once the staircase was done, the landing was a doddle.


Most of the cardboard for this house came from cereal packets
I'd like to take a moment to mention the very talented Sally Reader who made the dolls for my house. I discovered her at The Kensington Christmas Dolls House Festival. She makes the most gorgeous little wooden dolls and other toys in 1/12th, 1/24th and 1/48th Scale. She also accepts commissions (you'll see one in a future post).

A touch up here and there and my first Quarter Scale house was complete. It was so much fun I had ordered another two Kit and Books from Petite Properties before I'd finished. So I had a house..and two lovely dolls, but no furniture...





Next time:     Moving into Mulberry. Finding furnishings for my first creation.













2 comments:

  1. Mulberry House was my first 1/48th too and I agree, the stairs are really tricky. Took me 3 attempts to the the angles right and mine is still a bit wonky too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your comment. What other houses have you done?

    ReplyDelete